Monday, June 21, 2010

Finding the Right Catholic Church

Lance and I have decided to get married in a Catholic Church because I grew up Catholic and I've always wanted to get married in an old German Catholic style church like my Grandfather's church in Petoskey, Michigan. German Catholic Churches tend to make you feel the "presence of God" with a large alter and statues like this picture below.



As a young girl, whenever we would visit my grandfather in Petoskey we would always attend mass at St. Francis Xavier. Here's a couple pictures of his church.



This picture was taken in 1909 from the choir loft where my Grandmother use to sing in the choir every Sunday.



Here's what it looks like now. The parish decided to modernize the church a couple of years ago and I'm really sad to see the changes. Young people always want to change things instead of preserving the history and integrity. For some reason they didn't see the beauty in a church that was built in 1881.

I've been on the search to find a Catholic Church for Lance and I to get married in Nashville, TN that resembles St. Francis Xavier. My first choice was St. Mary's Cathedral in downtown Nashville, which is the oldest surviving Catholic Church in Tennessee. It was built in 1845! How exciting, but I recently found out that it is now a bookstore. Boooo!



Then I recently found this next Catholic Church online that Lance and I are going to check out this weekend. It's called Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. It was built in 1859 and is the second oldest Catholic church in Nashville located in historic Germantown. Not bad, and it looks a lot like my Grandfather's church!! :)



We can check the church off the list. I just hope they will let non-members get married in this church and one being non-Catholic. Cross your fingers! According to theknot.com here's a check list to follow Wedding Ceremony: Catholic Wedding Checklist.

3 comments:

Sarah Elizabeth said...

Love those churches! It's going to be perfect. My wedding planner got married at St. Patrick's and it has that same feel as assumption. Here's the link: http://stpatricksnashville.org/

Amy said...

I was looking to see if non-members can get married at Assumption as well and found your page. I am from Nashville and have been to Assumption many times. It is so very beautiful. I also wanted to let you know that St. Mary's is still an operating Catholic Church. We have a St. Mary's Catholic Bookstore as well, but it is something completely different.

Helena Fay Ballard said...

Oh really I didn't know that St. Mary's is still in operation. Thank you for letting me know. :)